³Additionally, players will have more classes to choose from aside from the five primary classes available at the start of the game. ⁸These classes will have to be unlock in some manner, and in the case of Hero classes, it's expected that these will be able to be used only temporarily.
As can be seen in Steam achievement¹² descriptions, there are broad archetype categories, which include classes with similar gameplay from different factions.
|Space Marines||Chaos Space Marines||Eldar||Orks|
|Ranged||Tactical||Traitor||Dire Avenger||Shoota Boy|
|Melee||Assault (Ground)||Traitor Assault||Howling Banshee||Slugga Boy|
|Jump||Assault (Jump)||Raptor||Swooping Hawk||Stormboy|
Primary classes are the classes that will be available to players from the start of the game. ³Each faction has five primary classes (Except Eldar, who have seven.) and depending on how players build their loadout (accessories, weapons, items, etc) for that class there are a multitude of possible specializations. ⁹Eternal Crusade is also a massive tactical wargame so not every specialization will be equal when going toe to toe with each other, players should either bring friends to make up for their weaknesses or deploy their loadout in the circumstances that favor their specialty.
⁹Since players can change classes and loadouts whenever they deploy to the field, they're not permanently locked into their choice, though not to all the choices players make in their progression will be easy to reverse.
These classes are considerably more powerful than the primary classes, as they have a total of 1400 loadout points (400 more than normal classes). Players may unlock them at rank 5 in the advancement tree paying 200 advancement points.
The currently available elite classes are basically upgraded version of the basic classes and can spawn once per player per match.
|Space Marines||Chaos Space Marines||Eldar||Orks|
|Ranged||Sternguard Veteran||Veteran Traitor||Revered Dire Avenger
Revered Fire Dragon
|Support||Veteran Apothecary||Sorcerer||Revered Warlock||Painboy|
|Heavy||Veteran Devastator||Veteran Havoc||Revered Dark Reaper||Loota|
|Melee||Vanguard (Ground)||Veteran Traitor Assault||Revered Howling Banshee
Revered Striking Scorpion
|Jump||Vanguard (Jump)||Veteran Raptor||Revered Swooping Hawk||Stormboy|
Squad leaders aren't expected to be treated as a class in the traditional sense, but rather as a rank. Within a player squad, a player may be squad leader, and this will allow him to play as any different squad leader classes, such as a Sergeant for Space Marines, Exarch for Eldar, or Nob for Orks. There still hasn't been much confirmed about how this will work, but some squad leader classes have already been confirmed, such as the aforementioned Exarchs and Nobz.
⁸Powerful “hero” classes such as Space Marine Librarians or Chaplains will be available to be played in the game, but they will cost a lot of resources to unlock and just like it is with Elite classes, dying returns the player to his original class, so players will have to use them wisely. There will then be a one day cooldown before players get to play as a Hero again.
¹⁰Additionally, there will be exclusive Heroes skins that can be unlocked through the founders pack, and potentially later on as microtransactions. These are mostly aesthetic, respecting the goal to have a game free of “pay to win” situations. But some special abilities could have alternative effects to add flavor and tactics on the battlefield. ¹¹The Founders heroes are special characters, while launch heroes are broader HQ types. Thus, the Founders heroes have cool, unique abilities, but are much narrower in focus and have little to no loadout customization.
- ¹The factions are going to be pretty different. Obviously there will be some similarities (especially between Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines) but the development team is aiming for an asymmetric balance while preserving the feel of each race. (Source)
- ²Each faction will have one jump/jet unit (Source)
- ³Each faction has ~5 primary classes (this may vary on faction) (Source)
- ⁴Each race and class will be able to use a vast array of specific skills and abilities. (Source)
- ⁵Some classes will be more sensitive to ranged attacks while some will be more sensitive to melee. (Source)
- ⁶All classes will have the option to damage tanks, but heavy classes will be better at this job. (Source)
- ⁷“Healers” such as Apothecaries will have functions beyond fighting and rezzing. (Source)
- ⁸Powerful “hero” units such as Librarians or Chaplains will be available in the game but will cost a lot of resources, so players will have to use them wisely. (Source)
- ⁹Players may change class and lodout whenever they like just before deploying to the field. (Source)
- ¹⁰Heroes classes unlocked via Founders Pack or microtransactions are mostly just an aesthetic bonus. (Source)
- ¹¹Founders Heroes will likely be special characters with more fluff behind them, but uncustomizable loadouts. (Source)
- ¹²Steam achievements (Source)